Sunday, December 18, 2005

Go-Karts RULE

Never had one when I was a kid. Wanted one, but it just wasn't in the cards.

So here's the latest project. DJ's 5 now, and it's winter, finishing the basement is currently too expensive, and I have a welder, a torch and a sawzall. And I like to beat/smash/weld/torch/cut/etc. things, so a go-kart should be a perfect project for this winter.

Now, even though DJ's a tall kid, at 5 he's still a little height challenged when it comes to touching the pedals. Gosh, I guess that means I'll be the only person in the family who wants to ride this thing for a year or two! How convenient.

I bought the plans for $20 from this website. Don from DIY Den puts together some amazing plans. Easy enough for anyone to get'er done. I've spent about 10 hours on the frame so far, pictured in the above shot. I put the creeper in there for scale. This is the kart I'm building.

I figure I'll have about $500 into the kart all said and done, including a new Honda knock-off 5.5hp engine ($120!! No kidding! Brand new!). Not bad considering the junky ones from hardware stores last 1 year and have trimmer motors vs. big'ol industrial 4 strokes.

DJ's not too excited about it yet - I think he's convinced it'll go way too fast and be scary to ride and he'll be required to balance something while driving. I get a "Uh right Dad. Riding my bike still freaks me out - you think I'm going to get in and drive something YOU built??" look from him when we talk about it.

When it's finished and he sees that it's a real car for kids, he'll change his mind, guaranteed. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

good luck with your build.
i am looking for plans to build one
for my grandsons both boys are only
a year apart in age and the cart when finished will stay here for me to work on or ride.
wayne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home